Transportation for severely disabled passengers
Passengers who possess a severe disability ID card (Schwerbehindertenausweis) with supplement and valid token may use all means of transportation in the VBB tariff area free of charge, within the scope of the legal regulations (Sozialgesetzbuch IX § 145 Abs. 1).
In general, individuals assisting severely disabled passangers are transported free of charge, if the authorization of permanent accompaniment is evident from the severe disability ID card (Schwerbehindertenausweis). In addition to an accompanying person, a dog may also be taken along free of charge in this case.
Passenger rights on regular bus services under 250 km
The European Regulation (EU) No. 181/2011 on the rights of passengers in bus and coach transportation under 250 km defines the following minimum rights for passengers:
- You are entitled to discrimination-free transportation. This means that you cannot be denied transportation on the grounds of nationality, disability or reduced mobility (unless this conflicts with applicable health or safety requirements, the design of the vehicle, or the infrastructure of the stop).
- In the event of loss or damage to your mobility aid or assistive device, you are entitled to financial compensation equal to the replacement value or the cost of repair. The prerequisite is that the loss or damage was caused by BVG.
- You are entitled to appropriate travel information throughout your entire trip.
- You are entitled to be provided with information about legal rights under the aforementioned regulation.
- You may submit a complaint to the BVG within three months. You are entitled to a response within one month. If you object to a response, you can
The complete ordinance text can be viewed here (in German).
Passengers in possession of a valid ticket may take children up to the age of six (up to 3 children on ferries), luggage, and a baby carriage free of charge.
Terms and conditions of transportation
The conditions of transportation are specified in part A (in German) of the valid VBB tariff.
Information on dispute resolution
The European Commission provides a platform for online dispute resolution at https://ec.europa.eu/.
For the resolution of disputes arising from the transportation of passengers by Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe (BVG), we have committed ourselves to participating in a dispute resolution procedure before a consumer arbitration board (söp). In such cases, our passengers can turn to the following arbitration board:
söp Schlichtungsstelle für den öffentlichen Personenverkehr e. V.
Telefon: (030) 6449933 0
Telefax: (030) 6449933 10
In all other cases we do not participate in consumer arbitration proceedings. Please contact us directly if you have any questions or problems regarding such cases.