On 1 January 2023, the berlinpass will be replaced by a new proof of eligibility issued by the relevant benefits office. Like the berlinpass, this proof of eligibility provides access to numerous benefits and aims to make it easier for Berliners who receive benefits to participate in the city’s social and cultural life. This proof of eligibility is also required if you need to apply for the VBB customer card Berlin S. During a ticket check, the VBB customer card Berlin S needs to be shown together with the valid Berlin ticket S.
How do I get my VBB customer card Berlin S?
The VBB customer card Berlin S is not issued at BVG customer centres. You can apply for this card by going to https://www.vbb-kundenkarte-berlin-ticket-s.de. Complete the online application form and upload
- the proof of eligibility with legible QR code, surname, first name, date of birth, period of eligibility
- a passport photo
- the first page of an official ID document or your passport with a photo. A valid school student ID is sufficient for persons under the age of 16. The following information must be legible on the identity document: Surname, first name, date of birth. All other information may be blacked out. However, the identity document must remain recognisable.
If your device has a camera, you can also take a photo during the application process. After completing the online application, you will usually receive the VBB customer card Berlin S within ten working days.
How do I get the VBB customer card Berlin S if I cannot use the online application form?
In this case, you will be able to apply for the VBB customer card Berlin S in writing no later than in April 2023.
How do I get the proof of eligibility?
Your benefits office will automatically issue you your proof of eligibility for the period in which you receive benefits. A separate application for the proof of eligibility is generally not necessary.
- Persons who live in a Berlin institution and receive benefits in another federal state will receive their proof of eligibility upon written request from the Welfare Office at Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg District Office (Bezirksamt). A personal visit is not necessary.
- Persons who do not receive benefits under the SED Injustice Reversal Laws (Unrechtsbereinigungsgesetzen) from a Berlin authority will receive their proof of eligibility upon request from the State Office for Health and Social Affairs.
- Persons in the Berlin prison system will receive their proof of eligibility from their contact in the prison.
Who can get the proof of eligibility?
All persons who have their main residence in Berlin and receive one of the following benefits receive the proof of eligibility:
- Unemployment benefit II (Arbeitslosengeld II) or income support (Sozialgeld, Hartz IV).
- Income support (Sozialhilfe)
- Income support (Grundsicherung) in old age
- Income support (Grundsicherung) for full reduction in earning capacity
- Benefits under the Asylum-Seeker Benefits Act
- Housing benefit
- Benefits under the SED Injustice Reversal Laws:
- Victim’s pension under Section 17a of the Criminal Rehabilitation Act (StrRehaG)
- Compensation benefits under Section 8 of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act (BRehaG)
- Compensatory pension for severely disabled persons or occupational injury compensation under Section 21 of the StrRehaG, Section 4 of the Prisoner Assistance Act (HHG), and Section 3 of the Administrative Rehabilitation Act (VwRehaG), in conjunction with Sections 32 or 30 of the Federal Supply Act (BVG)
- National socialism compensation pension under Section 13 of the Law on the Recognition and Provision for Persons Persecuted by National Socialism on Political, Racial, or Religious Grounds (PrVG).
In addition, in the case of benefits 1 to 5, members of the household of the person entitled to benefits (family members) may also receive the proof of eligibility, as may household members of a housing benefit recipient, provided that they were included in the calculation of the entitlement to housing benefit.
Persons in the Berlin prison system who participate in measures outside the prison system can also receive the proof of eligibility.
In addition, the proof of eligibility is also issued on application to persons who
- live in a Berlin institution and receive benefits in another federal state
- have no fixed abode and receive benefits from the State of Berlin
- are resident in Berlin and receive a victim’s pension or compensatory benefits in another federal state under the SED Injustice Reversal Laws.
What do I do if I have not received the proof of eligibility by 31/12/2022?
As long as you have not received your proof of eligibility, you can use the Berlin ticket S with your valid berlinpass. If your berlinpass is no longer valid after 1 January 2023, you can use the Berlin ticket S with your current benefit decision confirmation. To use the Berlin ticket S, enter the berlinpass number or the BG number on your benefit decision confirmation.
How long is my proof of eligibility valid?
The validity of your Berlin ticket S proof of eligibility is entered as the benefit period.
Note: For you to be able to use the Berlin ticket S (social ticket) without any interruption, you must apply for the continuation of your benefits in good time.
How can I use the Berlin ticket S (social ticket)?
For you to be able to use the Berlin ticket S (social ticket), you need the VBB customer card Berlin S. If you have the VBB customer card Berlin S, you can purchase the Berlin ticket S in the normal way at ticket machines or in the app. Please enter the number of the VBB customer card Berlin S on the Berlin ticket S or in the app.
When will the Berlin ticket S be available to buy for 9 euros?
From 01/01/2023, you can purchase the Berlin ticket S monthly ticket at all BVG ticket machines and at private BVG sales outlets (e.g. late-night sales points, newsagents) and in the BVG apps, at a monthly price of 9 euros, initially for the months of January, February, and March 2023. Due to expected high levels of demand, we advise against purchases at a BVG customer centre.